Home Sleep Study

Has anyone done the home sleep study instead of in the lab?

5 Likes

I have done both. Happy to answer any questions that you might have as best I can.

4 Likes

I’ve done 3 in the lab with 3 different Dr’s. Hypersomnia but no apnea. None ever gave me the option for a home test. The mattresses at the labs have plastic on them so that sound disrupts any sleep patterns.

I’m picking up the home test equipment on the 26th.

5 Likes

I had mine done at a local hospital here the first one and because of the difference in atmosphere, I struggled to get to sleep but the beds didn’t have plastic on them they were super comfortable and I slept great it was like the first time in I couldn’t tell you how long years and years for sure and it came back that there was nothing wrong at all since that one was done though I broke my nose and have a deviated septum and my new doctor had me do a home study which came back with severe snoring as well as mild apnea. It was a little uncomfortable having something wrapped around my finger and then having the monitor strapped my chest because it is kind of bulky. Also it does not measure everything that the hospital and measured it only did pulse ox heart rate the amount of air that was expelled when exhaling and somehow they tied that into snoring because it did not record sound and it didn’t have anything that could pick up a snore but it did catch me stop breathing several times but only for short moments. I did not get a CPAP machine I told them I did not want one and would not use it because I know having something over my face with my eyes closed only makes me dizzy and really I just need to have the surgery to fix the deviated septum so that the snoring won’t wake me up I had never been told that I stop breathing but my most recent now ex-boyfriend could not sleep because my snoring was so bad

6 Likes

Ooh, I’ll have to ask about wearing the monitor on my back as I’ve been sleeping on my stomach lately. I can’t sleep on my sides because my hands go numb. There’s also pain down my arm when I’m on my left side and sometimes I get vertigo on my right. Laying flat on my back feels so stiff like I’m in a casket…pillow under my knees, ankles crossed, arms across chest.

6 Likes

Both my exes same…ft so bad😪

2 Likes

They don’t let you sleep on your stomach for the sleep study. You have to be on your side or your back in order for them to know if you have sleep apnea. Plus you have oxygen hose in your nose.

4 Likes

No for me,i have to be on side lol

2 Likes

Yes, my brother did his at home. He looked like the bionic man he had so many wires and sensors stuck to his body. It must be so hard to fall asleep with all that strapped to your body. But I guess that’s one way of measuring a disturbed sleep :smiley:

6 Likes

The first sleep study I did the stuff they used to attach the sensors to your head actually burned me in a couple of spots. (They did switch the stuff when I told them I was feeling the burn.) So I had scabs on my forehead for a while.

6 Likes

Omg you poor thing!!soubds awful:(

4 Likes

Totally get that! I can’t sleep on my stomach because I have lung problems and it makes it harder to breathe, but definitely sleeping on my back is very stiff feeling. I toss and turn a lot so I go from one side to the other probably about 10 times an hour so I don’t have time to go numb thank goodness but at the same time it interrupts my sleep. I hope they let you put it on your back so that you can sleep on your stomach.

5 Likes

Omg! Burns from the tape sound horrible.

5 Likes

I can only do on my right side but sonetimes find myself on my back with arms raised above my head that ache for hours,my mon said i always slept like that as a baby.I wonder if we all toss and turn or just try and fall asleep in our comfort position?i also cant have anything tight around my feet lol

4 Likes

I used to sleep on my stomach as a kid but I would start out with my head on the pillows and would wake up either on the floor or with my head at the foot of the bed. A few times I would wake up hanging half off of the bed with my feet on the wall :rofl: I cannot sleep on my stomach anymore because of my breathing and lung disease but that hasn’t been an issue because the last time I recall ever sleeping on my stomach was when I was pregnant with my first child in 1998. The last couple days I have been waking up in horrible pain from sleeping on my right side. My hip, neck, and right arm I have been excruciating. So I guess for me I have always tossed and turned; my little brother, though, would go to sleep on his back and wake up in the exact same position with the blankets still looking like the bed was made :rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

My sister is the same,sleeps like sn angel,no snoring,no movement,no sheets moved,no insomnia,doesnt drink like me,but i smoke alit that doesnt help…so wierd we are so different :rofl:

4 Likes

Picked up the equipment during my lunch break yesterday. It’s small enough that I was able to lay on my stomach as I normally do. However they gave me a strap that was too big. I struggled so much trying to get it adjusted that I was worked up and couldn’t get to sleep. So I slept less than the 6h minimum. When I dropped it off this morning I asked them to call me and let me know if there’s enough data to work with or if I need a do-over.

4 Likes

I only had to do 4 hours. I hope you were able to get enough data for them and can get answers. :revolving_hearts:

3 Likes

UGH!

MESSAGE IN EMR
Dr. A. interpreted your home sleep study. Your study was normal. Based on your results and clinic conversation, An in lab sleep study and daytime sleepiness study has been ordered. The sleep lab will reach out to schedule your over night followed by daytime sleep studies once insurance formalities are completed.

These tests are called PSG and MSLT.

MY QUESTION BACK
So it was enough time/data recorded?

I’d left a message with a lady at the desk when I dropped the equipment off for someone to call me. The strap was too long and I had much difficulty getting it to the right size. I was so flustered from this that I couldn’t sleep. It had to have been under the 6h minimum the tech said was needed that I actually slept.

DR A’S REPLY
I think the data was enough during the night. Obviously when we do the in lab test we will get a more accurate information. Please remember for the test in the lab, don’t force yourself to go to sleep. AS it can increase the anxiety and patients have a hard time sleeping in the lab.

I tell patient’s not to worry about sleeping or not sleeping, just relax close your eyes and if you sleep its good. Even if u sleep for a few hours in the lab, it is ok, we can get information.

2 Likes

They will hook you to so many electrodes it’s insane but they’re able to know a lot more with the in lab study. They monitor your brain waves your blood flow your movements everything. And it may actually help you to sleep that night knowing that they are going to get more information. It’s not a very comforting thing to sleep away from home but it is a reassuring thing to know that they are doing everything they can to figure out what’s going on and potentially be able to help you.

2 Likes