S1 | the sofi brain - initial findings

Evening @savanna and it would be a pleasure to have another member of your household join the sofi Pioneer Program. I know there are still a few slots to be reserved on the S2 program (@alexwalkerjones is keeping track on this) and we are shipping out over 100 sofi surprises tomorrow to some of these potential pioneers. Best thing would be to install the sofi app, set up an account, and start to generate their baseline. There are plenty of pioneers in the pipeline but as long as they go consistent for 10 days there may be an opportunity for them to get into the S2 program as it is on a first complete 10 days, validate address and send back photo of sofi surprise basis! Let us know if your member of household has any issues installing the sofi app on their smartphone and we will support you throughout - adding @alexwalkerjones into here to make sure we support them! xx :pray:

4 Likes

@Aaron I wanted to share some of your initial data here, and also to ask you for as much feedback about how you remember you felt from the beginning, to the mid and the end of the S1 program. Especially how long it took for you to feel anything different or of interest or new from adding valerian into your life. This is what we could see from the data that was generated during the S1 program.

Firstly, you were awesome in terms of your Pioneer activity - your sofi score was pretty much higher than mine through most of the program:

Itā€™s interesting to note that 78 by the way was the highest score that any pioneer achieved during the S1 program so we are having @enricovarano look at this and reset so we can get some higher scores for consistent Pioneers .

Your high sofi score was reflected in your spray and journalling activity. Looks like once you settled down with the first bottle into an evening pattern you were pretty good at maintaining that consistency of use for the remainder of the S1 program:

In order to learn to predict how much youā€™d sleep each night, the sofi brain generally looked at how much you slept over the previous 3 nights (thatā€™s what y_tā€“x means: x is the number of days it looked back, first column of graphs).

When it came to sleep quality, the sofi brain found that it could make a good prediction of how well youā€™d sleep based on your pod use 6 or 7 days prior, so we can conclude that spraying Valerian improves your sleep quality by about 50% with 95% certainty. Thatā€™s what we can see from the data which we thin is pretty amazing! But love to hear your experience and comments on this. :pray:

4 Likes

Thanks for adding this, itā€™s awesome to see the stats , i remember when I first starting it my sleep wasnā€™t great and my moods were unpredictable and I had no energy but recently up until my shift pattern has changed ( will be a short period and is half way to being finished ) I found myself wanting to get out of bed and do activities even the idea of going out for a meal made me nauseous and Iā€™ve actually started to come out my shell again and be more social and want to go out and enjoy myself again with my family. I used to find myself so tired when I woke up and anxious to go to work, and well I still rather not go to workā€¦ I donā€™t find myself anxious about going now and Iā€™ve got the energy to wake up atleast more than 20 minutes before I need to leave the door so I can actually eat more than 1 meal a day again :rofl: so I would definitely say valerian has worked wonders for me :smiley:

6 Likes

I would be quite interested to know what my sleep pattern is like when I use the spray in am though when I come home from nights, if you have that ? :smiley:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s really awesome feedback @Aaron ā€¦ really grateful for sharing! :pray:

3 Likes

No but we are building modules up slowly ā€¦ this makes total sense ā€¦ will ask @rafaelgoncalves to look into this and perhaps we can also show this in the my.sofi.health section as well when it is built.

5 Likes

Thatā€™d be awesome , thankyou :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Happy Friday and I wanted to share with you the early results from the first three pioneers. As you know our lovely @alexwalkerjones recently wrote to a handful of pioneers who are up for sharing their results openly and discussing them with the community here. So let me introduce ā€œpioneer aā€ (@Aaron ), ā€œpioneer kā€ (@kathleen.brown33) and ā€œpioneer yā€ (@Eevie). I am attaching each of their responses below. Will use this one page format to introduce additional pioneers. It would be amazing to hear as much as possible from each of the three pioneers here, about their experience with valerian, and whether the observations made initially here by the sofi brain match their experience, and importantly, how do they differ. Did you feel something that our sofi brain didnā€™t fully detect. Did sofi sense something that doesnā€™t fit totally with your experience. I am entirely blown away by how incredibly individual the responses have been of the pioneers that sofi has been analysing thus far. For some the impact was on length of sleep, for others quality, and others, there was something there, but sofi couldnā€™t be sure yet. Over to you @Aaron , @kathleen.brown33 and @Eevie for your feedback. xx :pray:

2 Likes

Wow this is some awesome stuff, glad to see itā€™s had a well deserved effect on others, i will say though I do feel alot more human , happier and energised ( not enough to run a marathon ) but more than Iā€™ve felt for years, today I actually woke up buzzing aswell :roll_eyes::rofl::rofl: Iā€™m hoping this keeps up now :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Thank you to the team :heart_eyes: Iā€™m quite interested did others in the team find themselves with improved sleep? I hope so!

5 Likes

Wow absolutely astonishing!!! I knew Iā€™d been sleeping better but when you see the figures and graph for all 3 you can see the tremendous effect valerian has had on all of us. I canā€™t claim to understand all the science behind sofi but all I know is that if it was made available to the wider public it would help so many more. The teething problems with the stick and software have nearly been ironed out, but thatā€™s why weā€™re doing this. For me the benefits of the valerian far outweigh the niggles we have had to deal with. I canā€™t thank you enough for the opportunity to help with this trial itā€™s been a game changer for me.

8 Likes

Sorry got carried away with the first email but one thing sofi couldnā€™t record is the amount of times you wake up. But I guess that wouldnā€™t really be a necessity, the quality of the sleep is more important.

6 Likes

Agreed, that is something else Iā€™ve noticed Iā€™ve woken up once per night each day for the last week atleast and thatā€™s been it, glad youā€™ve noticed your sleep has improved

5 Likes

Really grateful for this feedback @Aaron ā€¦ anything else that comes to mind please add! Thank you so much for being a part of this journey with us :pray:

4 Likes

This is brilliant feedback @Eevie and I canā€™t tell you how rewarding it is for the team for every time something thatā€™s doesā€™t quite fall to plan to be able to go and review these ā€¦ we know valerian is just the first plant but we are so grateful that it has already began to have such an impact on our pioneer community ā€¦ if anything further comes to mind just add here xx :pray:

5 Likes

Thatā€™s super insightful especially seeing how the inconsistency can be noticed so clearly. Thatā€™s one of the reasons of my question about dosage. Iā€™m wondering how much taking less than the recommended dosage would influence the study results :thinking:

7 Likes

Thatā€™s a great question snd one for our wonderful @pamelaspence ā€¦ what do you think? xx :pray:

4 Likes

Great question @fcjulia and one i think we have to grapple with here at sofi!

So with my herbalist hat on I know that I often have to vary the dosage of herbs for my patients - particularly those who are more sensitive to medicines generally and need less. And the principle there is that we try not to give the body more than it needs. So in clinic I start low and work up if I need to (and occasionally down as well for those sensitive folks). Of course I am also tweaking the formula too (have you ANY idea how hard it is to ask a herbalist to work with just one plant at a time?! :rofl:)

So purely as a herbalist I would say - we need to allow each body to find the dose that works for them but give a recommended starting dose. And also to allow variance in when each person takes their dose depending on their lifestyle (thinking of you here @Aaron ).

With my sofi hat on I wonder how that amount of variance between Pioneers will affect the data. And that is really a question for Enrico who is creating the sofi brain.

But at the heart of it all is you - the Pioneer, the n-of-1, the ā€˜one size does not fit allā€™ individual and the most important thing is that we get sofi right for you. As long as we can look at your data and make suggestions based on what you need then variance is not an issue. That is the personalised n-of-1 model working.

We have no way of influencing whether you drank chamomile tea, had 3 espressos, or had a sugar blow out each day (not to mention all the other supplements you may be taking) and all of these things will affect your stress levels and sleep too, so in essence i think that as long as what you do remains fairly stable then it shouldnā€™t make much difference.

If suddenly we see a large number of people having to reduce their dosage however, we need to have a think about the strength of the formula or the recommended dosage.

What do you think @Kaveh ?

:herb:

9 Likes

Thatā€™s entirely sensible @pamelaspence and actually the beauty of sofi is that you can reduce the number of sprays and continue to journal regularly and it will work all the same as it is purely designed for the ā€œN-of-1ā€ level. The main thing is consistency if use (dosage) and journalling so if you want to use less sprays use less sprays but consistently less for 10 days or so and journal regularly so we can capture any latency effect. So I would suggest for someone super responsive such as our awesome @fcjulia if she wants to or needs to go to a lower dosage thatā€™s entirely fine from a sofi perspective ā€¦ just need to keep regular journalling throughout. Hope that helps xx :pray: and happy Sunday! :happy:

6 Likes

Happy Sunday! I would love to share with your the remarkable results of ā€œpioneer jā€ our lovely @jacquelinecannon1 who has been a tremendous pioneer and fighting through all sorts of tech issues to help generate data for sofi ā€¦ and she has been able to observe some remarkable results. I would love to have your thoughts so far on your experience with valerian and sofi @jacquelinecannon1 so we can see how good sofi is at listening and interpreting effect from valerian for you! xx :pray:

3 Likes

One more pioneer result being released today and this is the results of our awesome ā€œpioneer cā€ @chris.king5 ā€¦ Chris itā€™s been a real pleasure having you on this journey with us and really interesting to see that sofi believes the very first plant that we have tried together as registered a statistically significant result. Attaching the preliminary results here and would love to hear as much about your experience - both before and during the S1 Pioneer Program. :pray:

4 Likes