5HTP or any other supplements

Has anyone tried 5HTP with success, or any supplements for that matter? Who do you use? So not trying some dodgy site?

5 Likes

It’s great to see you here @emmyginnis … let me invite our medical herbalist into this conversation - @pamelaspence and also let’s see if @stephendahmermd had any thoughts here … delighted to have you here with us. :pray:

5 Likes

Hello,
Welcome to the Treehouse!
I do know some patients who have found 5htp helpful and we have had a lot of discussion on a other thread about magnesium too - which I always think is a useful, safe supplement to start with and we are all probably slightly deficient these days.
With regard to sourcing - great question! I worry about this a lot as you cannot tell if you’re buying over the internet. It depends of course on where you live but I would suggest looking for a well known brand name, if you are in the UK looking for GMP certification and above all don’t buy bulk on Amazon or the like.

I hope that helps as a start!
Pamela :herb:

5 Likes

Hi both, thanks for information. I totally agree, bit nervous to buy from some places incase its not actually what you think it is. I will take a look round and see what I can find.

4 Likes

Hi @emmyginnis ,
I understand your caution. The very best way is to go to a local independent health food store - do you have one where you are so you could ask their advice? It’s what they’re best at. Are you in the UK? In which case I could maybe suggest a list of producers to look at?
Pamela. :herb:

4 Likes

Hi

Yes I have one sort of near by, I’m in the UK so happy for your recommendations? Thanks

2 Likes

I think a pretty good rule of thumb is that if a reputable healthfood store stocks it, it is unlikely to be dodgy. Then, ask the staff for their recommendations, then if you can see GMP on the label it means the supplier has signed up to Good Manufacturing Practices which is another plus. I would be guided by those things and not buy over the internet and I think that’s all we can do to avoid problematic purchases!

Hope that helps?
Pamela :herb:

2 Likes

have you seen the post by @alexwalkerjones ? It’s not exactly about supplements but gives a good insight into 5-HT.
One of the paragraphs states:
“”"
There are two key pathways of Valerian that explain its efficacy as a potential phytotherapy for sleeplessness and anxiety, GABA and 5-HT (aka the chemical name for the neurotransmitter, serotonin), of which we have another recent discussion in the treehouse on, where I look forward to hearing anyone’s thoughts!
“”"
The post is super interesting and I would invite you to read it in its entirety.

Unfortunately, I don’t know how to add a link to that previous post… :frowning:

3 Likes

the name of the post was “On Anxiety + Sleep”

2 Likes

Just started a mix of HYPE 5htp,with sage and magnesium,2 capsules at night with melatonin,says it will take a month of them to see a constant effect xxx

3 Likes

Thanks I will take a gander!

3 Likes

Emmy, this is a big issue in the supplement industry - even one that us doctors that recommend supplements have! this is the best basic advice I’ve found - (from 2012 and it’s still true) - How to Choose the Best Supplement Brand - Health Tip | Bastyr University I have NOT seen good evidence for 5-HTP and sleep. Some of the best research I’ve come across for 5-HTP is depression (see meta-analysis below). There are a number of herbs and supplements that have even better evidence in supporting sleep (valerian!) - in fact, scientists at Sofi did a lot of work mapping them: Sleeplessness I’m excited for future projects at Sofi to explore them more. Hope this is helpful!

4 Likes