House plant recommendations?

Hey all!

Wondered if anyone has any house plant recommendations, that either help with mental wellbeing, you can use in a holistic way (herbal teas, balms, rubs, etc.) or have wellbeing backgrounds, such as zen gardens for an example?

Thank you in advance

7 Likes

Hi, i have a pretty pot full of herbs that i have in the house, they smell lovely when you brush past them…and obviously you can add them to your meals. I also have an Aloe Vera which i use to make masks and use it if i feel a bit warm from the sun :sun_with_face:

6 Likes

Oooh Aloe! Yes I need that, I’d love to make some masks with it.

Thanks for the idea.

5 Likes

Some plants produce oxygen during the night as well as during the day such as Orchids, Spider plants and Aloe vera (i think thats what i read) and some like Ivy can apparently clear moulds from a damp room which can help breathing.

Anyway, here is an article about plants in a bedroom that can help you sleep

6 Likes

Aloe vera ( the gel in the leaf) is also quite good as a natural rooting compound if you want to take cuttings.

7 Likes

My house plants that tend to make me the happiest are the ones I don’t have to worry about killing off! :sweat_smile: :blush:

The ‘ZZ’ plant is pretty fast growing and can tolerate indirect light and fewer waterings, so I’m personally a big fan! Snake plants are the same and they help to purify the air.

And I second growing herbs! @Sunflower, even just the small habit of smelling a sprig of mint or rosemary when you walk into the kitchen, etc, totally boosts the mood!

6 Likes

You’re welcome. Have a lovely Thursday :blush:

3 Likes

That’s really helpful, I’ll move my snake plant now!

4 Likes

That was so interesting, thankyou for sharing. My grandchildren are not brilliant at sleeping through, i will tell my daughter about these plants :+1:

3 Likes

Spider plants are cool

4 Likes

One of my favourites is the Croton plants. They need misting everyday which forces me to get up and also reminds me that i need water everyday and to go drink some :blush::purple_heart:

3 Likes

Hi, ive just looked up the plant you have, a croton plant, they have beautifully coloured leaves :leaves: :grin:

2 Likes

Happy to report I now have a beautifully established ficcus, 6 tillandsias, and a plant I have completely forgotten the name of…

4 Likes

Still looking for a zz plant but haven’t found one anywhere?

3 Likes

You can buy them on ebay.
One word of caution - make sure that kids or dogs wont eat the leaves because they are toxic, and it is recommended that you wash your hands after handling them.

Perhaps post a pic in here of the plant you cant remember the name of? Some of us may know what it is, or you could use a plant ID app on your phone.

2 Likes

Ooooh OK, would they be toxic to cats then too?

1 Like

Yes, not to be chewed by humans, dogs, cats or any other pets!

3 Likes

Then it’s offy list as I have 4 cats that love to chew!

1 Like

Check this list out: Pet safe plants

4 Likes