S1 Pioneer Program | Updates

Hi all,so I must be the only one here who cant figure out how to post my own draft unless I reply to a postšŸ¤£I dont see a send button.i finally decided to pop my beautiful stone on my Plumeria plant as a symbol that sleep mirrors very fussy plantsā€¦once we do master it though we will bloom!

9 Likes

I love this! I have far too many fussy plants (as well as the dramatic ones that like to pretend I never water them) and, as you say, itā€™s just takes a little longer to understand what it is they might need. In any case itā€™s the environment - not the plant - that needs to change! :potted_plant: :seedling: :herb: :star2:

5 Likes

Iā€™m so glad to be a part of this journey with all of you!

6 Likes

Absolutely agreed,I sort require alot of fuss before Iā€™m happily calm in bed like my plants, the right light,temperature, noise etc
With spring coming Iā€™m always a bit happier. I lived in Australia for 9 years and slept very well even tho extremely hot.I moved to England in 2020 and still adjusting.xx

6 Likes

Delighted to have you here with us @emmanuellernunes . We are truly pioneering together! Wishing all a restful night. Xo

6 Likes

Happy Friday everyone and wishing you a wonderful (and restful) start to your weekend! Just popping in with a little update:

Our S1 bottles have made it to the lab and are in the process of being filled!

I canā€™t wait to find our which flavour each of our journeys will begin with: n.01, n.02, or n.03!

More updates coming soon :slight_smile:

17 Likes

How exciting :grinning: in looking forward to trying this

7 Likes

Yaaaay, those bottles look so nice!

6 Likes

Hi @alexwalkerjones
Would you foresee any potential issues sending this across borders? Is there anything we need to check on our end before shipment takes place?
Thank you for clarifying

4 Likes

Thatā€™s an excellent question @laurent.rossier ā€¦ we have so far been mostly pre occupied with the question of the button cell battery that powers the S1 sofi stick. We have plans to move this to rechargeable on S2 onwards but in the interest of time and to get something in the hands of our Pioneers in Feb we had to work with these little button cell batteries typically used for watches. @bee had been having a very thorough time trying to work out which courier companies are options as they all have slightly different policies and what the regs are. We believe we have found a way in relation to the batteries but we will keep everyone posted ahead of shipment if we need the help of the community to get these to you - particularly for international Pioneers. Thank you so much for flagging this so we can give some more context and hope you managed some rest last night! :pray:

6 Likes

Behind the scenes 03 | sofi stick

This week we want to share with you a few moments from the development of our sofi stick, including some early moments of the ā€œsofi 0ā€ or the ā€œS0ā€ - our very first concept of the sofi stick as well as the ā€œS1ā€ of which we are running a limited production for our Pioneers. Hope you like what you see! :sparkles::crescent_moon:

S0 | concept

Screenshot 2022-01-31 at 08.57.55

Screenshot 2022-01-31 at 08.58.00

Screenshot 2022-01-31 at 08.58.16

Screenshot 2022-01-31 at 11.13.47

The S0 concept sofi stick was a proof of concept that we can deliver a single formulation from a standard 10 ml bottle, count each press, and generate a data point that we capture through a bluetooth bridge. It was super basic in every way, hand made and 3D-printed parts, and we used existing standard electronics boards - but critically it proved that the sofi stick was doable (in principle, at least)!

S1 | development

Screenshot 2022-01-31 at 11.14.18

Screenshot 2022-01-31 at 11.16.36

Screenshot 2022-01-31 at 08.58.33

Screenshot 2022-01-31 at 11.17.23

Screenshot 2022-01-31 at 11.17.31

Screenshot 2022-01-31 at 11.17.38

Screenshot 2022-01-31 at 11.17.44

Having proved the principles of the sofi stick with the concept S0, we then moved to creating a version that we could manufacture in the hundreds or even thousands to prove out the principles of sofi with Pioneers in the real world.

This required us to prepare sofiā€™s designs for manufacture, with the objective to create something iconic, simple and beautiful that we could see in every pocket, jacket or handbag, on the go. It was important to us for it to blend in well with other items (next to a mobile or set of keys), fit easily in a pocket or handbag, clearly display which formulation is in use without a Pioneer having to check the sofi app, and a number of other considerations. The other key requirement was that we wanted to move quickly in giving Pioneers a sofi stick they can use - so we had to think really hard about what was the minimum loveable product that could deliver our first formulation.

S1 | production

Screenshot 2022-01-31 at 11.18.10

Screenshot 2022-01-31 at 11.18.37

Screenshot 2022-01-31 at 12.53.16

In order to manufacture and assemble our first 300 sofi sticks, a total of 3,494 individual parts are required, each with its own series of tests and validation processes!

Click here to see a few moments of manufacture and validation of our S1 units.

Excitingly, our S2 sofi stick is already under planning. We will incorporate key learnings from our S1 Pioneer Program as well as some functional upgrades (such as rechargeable lithium cell) that we decided to roadmap to accelerate getting the S1 sofi stick as quickly as possible to you.

xx

16 Likes

so nice to see the designs and original concept :heart_eyes: looking forward to see how it will evolve in the future too

8 Likes

Looking good canā€™t wait

7 Likes

And for those who click on the manufacturing (and drop testing video) ā€¦ what you are seeing are three steps.

01. Primary Turning Process from raw billet
Your sofi stick housing starts life as a billet of raw aluminium, which is first processed on a CNC lathe where we turn down the block into a cylindrical profile. The billet spins in the lathe and a cutting tool removes the material following a toolpath programmed by a skilled machine operator. Most of the internal and external profile is machined at this stage plus the thread at the bottom of the sofi stick to hold in the sofi plant pod formulation bottles.

02. Milling Process
The part is then moved onto a 3-axis milling machine where various features are machined including the spray aperture and the formulation bottle. Your sofi stick has now been machined to its final shape.

03. Brushing Finishing Process
After machining, your sofi stick goes through its finishing process. Back in the lathe your sofi stick is brushed to give itā€™ specific surface finish. Finally the part is anodised black to give it a protective and aesthetic finish.

If you missed the video above, you can see these steps by clicking here.

Hope you found this of interest. February will be an important month for all of us here at sofi as we will begin to ship the first ever sofi sticks to you. Thank you so much for your patience and in being part of this journey with us.

xx

10 Likes

Thank you for sharing in such detail! Loved watching the magic happen too - looks like a lot of fun to me :nerd_face::seedling::woman_scientist:t2:

3 Likes

Itā€™s a pleasure to be sharing our journey with such an awesome community ā€¦ thereā€™s something quite incredible in the creative process when youā€™re making something for the first time ā€¦ that much more when the outcome could have a positive impact in so many lives! We canā€™t wait to share more and to send you that first wave of units. There is of course a lot of trepidation and anxiety as the first time you do something nothing goes to plan ā€¦ and even the most straight forward elements like shipping your golden sample from a to b results in total destruction of it!! But the team are working their way through each of these little ā€œdiscoveriesā€ empowered by two things ā€¦ I. We love the mission and promise of sofi, II. We love this community here. Thank you for being a part of this journey with us. :pray:

9 Likes

This is so exciting to see it in production :raised_hands:

5 Likes

Fantastic!! I canā€™t wait to get started on S1 and to continue following the comments made in the Treehouse. S2?? Wow - you guys at Sofi rock!!

3 Likes

Canā€™t wait itā€™s amazing

3 Likes