Sofi | moon dialler | quality of sleep slider

There’s a question that’s been asked of me and I’ve kind of been thinking about for a little while … how do we capture “interrupted” sleep? Right now we are using our sofi moon interface to capture hours of sleep … and then we slide this range between “amazing” and “poorly” … as we have a tonne of backlog (thx @filipe !) that we need to get through so not keen to make more work for the team but I was thinking if there was a simple way to reword the slider on the moon to capture the quality of sleep … love to hear your thoughts … right now the “amazing” to “poorly” is a sort of proxy for “consistent” to “broken” sleep … but rather than focusing on how many times we wake up or something else it just asks us to come up with this single qualitative feedback … somewhere between amazing and poorly! Love to know if you are happy with this or would you want us to reword it (“consistent/solid” to “intermittent/broken”) … or even potentially allow you to slide between number of times you work up … 0 (solid) to 3 or more (broken) … and you can slide it across that values … few screen shots below of our current moon design which we love (thx @josif). Love to hear with you think (and hope you’re managing some decent sleep!). I was knocked out a little by my booster jab but don’t think this is a sustainable solution for sleep! KM

7 Likes

Mine would be intermittent/broken 99.9% of the time. I’d like to have the option to indicate how many times I woke up. My FitBit tells me that I was awake even though I didn’t know I was. So would you want all wake times or only those where we knew we were awake?

7 Likes

That’s a really good point. I suppose we need to create a method that works with or without a Fitbit and can be journaled consistently by us all (probably only conscious wakings)! So choices are:

a. Sliding scale between “amazing” to “poorly” - what we have now; …

b. Sliding scale between “solid” to “broken” sleep ….

c. sliding scale from 0, 1, 2, 3 or more about how many times you woke up during the night ….

d. Other suggestion ….

Which one would you pick? KM

3 Likes

I like the idea of recording number of times sleep is disturbed. However, for me some of my awake times are responding to my son so that would need to be taken into account! It’s the ease/or not of returning to sleep having been awoken that seems to impact me the most.

7 Likes

Super interesting @Ally … so would you be leaning more towards option c above … but you would also want to be able to somehow capture how easy it was to fall back to sleep?

3 Likes

So would you be also leaning towards option “c” as well @BrandNewMe … or are you thinking of an original twist on one of these choices (so an option d!). :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, leaning towards option C definitely…the ability to record ease of returning to slumber would be useful personally but adds another layer to data collection. As others have already identified, effective sleep is so varied person to person …and so specific to internal and external factors! My situation is responding to my son during the night but I’m guessing others will be woken by other external, uncontrollable factors such as animal noise, traffic movement, etc. I feel data collecting becoming super complicated for team sophi!

6 Likes

I think C would work.

3 Likes

I have exactly the same issue! I was wondering how to quantify my sleep when I know it’s my son shouting in the night that is the issue not my sleep cycle.

@Kaveh I notice that the quality of sleep (poor to amazing) and the number of interruptions is not necessarily connected. I can have an ok quality of sleep even if interrupted a couple of times if I can get straight back to sleep. But other times I can’t. Would be good to log these on separate dials.

4 Likes

Personally, for me, I dont thinknits a good idea. I wake up soooo many times during the night that it would be difficult to count up. I’m happy with it as it is, where, as you say, we can say whether we slept good or bad.

4 Likes

I agree i get so confused in the night sometimes when I wake up constantly, that I dont think I could count how many times I get up :rofl:

5 Likes

For me the same to remember and count how many times I wake up. I would need to write it down, or I will end up with anxiety to try and remember I did wake up. I like the poorly and amazing. If I woken up many times I use poorly . If I had a few hours without waking I use amazing.

4 Likes

One of my problems is broken sleep which I felt wasn’t being captured in the logging of no. of hours sleep. Also, I have consistently tried not to look at the clock when I do wake up during the night because I don’t find it helpful to know how little sleep I have had, but in order to answer the question of duration I now have to look at it. Sometimes the lack of sleep doesn’t affect how I feel the next day - I am retired now so don’t lay there worrying about the next day - so logging the quality of sleep will probably reflect that. However, I am hoping to get back to longer, unbroken sleep so maybe a method of recording the number of times we wake up would be useful.

5 Likes

I think leaving it more generic rather than counting moments of broken sleep is better. For example, upob waking its easy to tell how you feel …refreshed, groggy, amazing, poorly, etc.

But, if one already suffers from chronic insomnis its quite easy to either wake up refreshed or feeling like s*** and to answer questions like that. Its not so easy to to recall “how many” times you woke up, how many times you fell back to sleep, how many times you aroused while shifting positions…especiallyif it qll blebds into one long restless night. It happens hundreds of times a night… who is going to keep tally marks through the night and be able to give you a count in the morning?

Did I sleep good? No.
Did I wake up refreshed? No.
Do I need a nap? Yes!

Easy questions to respond to…if you need elaboration, leave space for those who can recall what their night was like to elaborate. But for the most part, make the questions easy for sleep addled brains to respond to. :wink:

8 Likes

Super grateful for the feedback we are working on something that I think we will enable the range of feedback we are being asked to be able to make … it’s a new interface called sofi bubbles but more of that to come in a month or so. For now really appreciate having you in the journey with us and please keep building your baseline so we can reserve you a pioneer box as would love to continue getting this quality of feedback. Hope you manage some rest this weekend @Commodore_UAlladore! :pray:

6 Likes

Welcome to the treehouse @Commodore_UAlladore! You have a good point, and it’s not necessarily a negative thing for the journal to be allow for personal interpretation - so long as the way you think of your answer is the same everyday!

For example, how you choose to use the “poor” and “amazing” slider can be completely up to you… you could choose to move the slider more to the “poor” side if you had several wake ups, or you could choose to only use it to share how you feel about the sleep you got - and not necessary the length or consistency of it. Both of those answers work for us (because we only ever compare you to you), so long as the approach stays consistent :slight_smile:

7 Likes

When will you release a new version where I can see my sleep history and some statistics? I have version 2.1.2

4 Likes

Thank you, but I have list the area where to do the daily feedback, can younpoint me the right direction please?

4 Likes

We are about to do a major update on the range of feedback you can provide when your sofi stick arrives and the app fully unlocks. Also adding @alexwalkerjones here in case there are areas of the app that remain hard to navigate so we can support you throughout. :pray:

5 Likes

This morning I didn’t have a choice to select the amount I slept but I did get two mood diallers :joy::joy:

5 Likes