What is the best bedside clock?

Hi all,

We were just talking about having phones in the bedroom and the issues that creates when living with sleeplessness already.

Anyway, long story short, if I don’t have my phone as my alarm clock I need to go back to a normal bedside clock and I haven’t had one of those in years!

I was wondering if any of you had found any gems?

Few rules:
Cannot tick :slight_smile:
Cannot make any noise really…
Is completely dark (unless touched?)
Is easy to adjust the alarm time
Alarm is not stupidly loud giving me a heart attack each time it goes off

All suggestions are welcome!

7 Likes

I wonder if a perfect alarm clock like this exists :laughing:

1 Like

Alexa, I use it for alarm, audible etc, can be set to go into night mode so completely dark.

2 Likes

To me there is nothing worst than here a ticking sound in a room … I have been known to remove batteries in clocks or even clocks when visiting friends and family … some find the ticking sound deeply calming and relaxing … I can’t think of anything worst!

2 Likes

Mine is an old clock radio so the screen doesn’t dim. I suppose you could turn it away from you or lay it face down instead. It’s on the top of my headboard so I don’t see it unless I look up.

I’ve accidentally flipped the switch to standard instead of radio for the alarm before so that’s freaked me out. Sometimes I’m awakened to a great song so I sing or jam along to wake up.

I only use my phone as an alarm on vacation. I don’t want to mess with the clock in the room.

@triplethreat3 what sounds do you wake up to on Alexa?

I use an old fashioned one.
Need to press a button on top to light up- and alarm goes off with a sound that is disturbing but not shocking.

1 Like

@triplethreat3 whenever I think of an Alexa, I think of Jeff Bezos’s head and him listening in to everything I say and I really don’t feel comfortable inviting him into my bedroom :laughing:

@BrandNewMe I really don’t like any light sources in my bedroom.

So it sounds like @laurent.rossier might be the best option so far

4 Likes

I got one off amazon that when you touch it it reflects the time onto the ceiling not sure how the alarm works

3 Likes

mine is a really simple one… one standard sound only. It’s completely dark unless you hit on top and same goes for the snooze function.
Because of the super limited capabilities, the 2 AAA batteries kind of last a life-time :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I got a new alarm clock for the same reason I found by having my phone as the alarm it wasn’t good for me. I brough lt a sad alarm clock from amazon it has been great no sound, you can dim the light and the alarm sound can be changed to different calming sounds like beach etc

4 Likes

Thrilled to have you here in the treehouse @richard.branchette ! Let me know if you love your alarm. I keep on using my iPhone but the trouble is that it does more things than an alarm and that all means more distractions at bed!!

4 Likes

It is honestly really good I love the sad function also so when it is dark I can try and mimic sun light. I found having my phone detracting as I would wake-up in the night look at my phone to check the time then see I have a notification on my phone and respond to it. Then I would end up spending my time on my phone than I would have intended. Atleast with the clock I saw instantly the time the go back to sleep

5 Likes

Have you got a link (preferably not Amazon boo hiss) to the clock @richard.branchette ? I’d love to take a closer look at it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If course unfortunately it was through amazon :sweat_smile: we got it in the black friday sale

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing the link! I make an effort to find other retailers besides Amazon, but once you share the link it’s easy to find elsewhere :slight_smile:

£42 on bargainfox.com, now there’s a site I hadn’t heard of before :grinning:

3 Likes

Oh wow that is a good price it’s definitely worth a try :blush:

4 Likes

@Kaveh I’m with you on that! The ticking sound is a nightmare!

5 Likes

Nothing worse than that noise whilst you’re trying to sleep :weary: thats why the only actual clock i have is in my living room :see_no_evil::see_no_evil: also welcome to the treehouse :slight_smile:

5 Likes