Anti-depressants and Sleep

Hola!

Now, this may seem like a very stupid question but do anti-depressants affect your sleep? I’ve been on two different ones in the last 4 years and tbh they affected my sleep in various cycles, some days I’d be fine and the next I’d become an owl with droppy eyes. I know they come with various side affects but how did it affect you? I know anxiety in general hinders sleep and I go from sleeping through my problems to staying awake for weeks just worrying over nothing. Anyone had the same experience? Will #sofi help with anxiety/depression?

Tia

3 Likes

Dear Tia,

We know from our basic research that anxiety and sleeplessness can have shared pathways … so they are not perfectly separate buckets and clearly have overlaps. I would love to hear from both @pamelaspence and @stephendahmermd on their views and experience on this to the extent that they can engage on this within our public forum. Also, very happy to dig through some of the summary research that out scientists pulled together on the pharmacological pathways of anxiety and sleeplessness and some of the shared ways they materialise … are you interested in seeing some of those summary research notes Tia? Hope you’re managing to get some sleep! xo

5 Likes

Hi Tia,

Great question!

There is a huge overlap between sleep and anxiety and often (but not always!) it is the mechanism of anxiety (staying alert, heart rate going up etc.) that is not allowing the body to fall asleep. That happens sometimes, other times and for other people, the body craves sleep to escape from problems, so you can find that people pull the duvet over their head and don’t emerge for a while!

Because anti-depressants mainly work with neurotransmitter chemicals in your brain, they have the ability to affect sleep just as much as mood and different ones, working in different ways, will cause different effects. There are also side-effects particular to each one, but side effects don’t happen in the same way for everyone. A common anti-depressant which is very good for anxiety is Sertraline for example. I see a lot of patients on that who get on really well with it, others find it really disturbs their sleep a lot.

So the answer really is back to why at sofi we are so interested in the masses but in you as an individual and in N of 1 trials - meaning it only matters what your result is.

As to whether sofi can help with anxiety and depression, this first formulation, using valerian, is used a lot for anxiety in clinic so I expect that for some people it will address that too. It is not a herb that I use particularly for depression - but then again if the depression is coming from exhaustion due to anxiety and lack of sleep then it could be helpful there too. It all comes from the fact that herbs can’t force your body to do something like a pharmaceutical that goes in and takes over function, but they can resolve an issue and allow the body to function properly.

I hope that helps? In short it is back to you as an individual and the causes behind your current situation that will determine the outcome for you.

Pamela

5 Likes

Hi!

Thank you for your answer, I most definitely am interested in getting those notes. I’ve been trying different methods for a while now and plant based will be my first.

Tia

2 Likes

I suffer from insomnia and anxiety. My GP is reluctant to give me sleeping tablets and if she does it’s 14 day supply. I started with zopiclone 3.5mg it helped but my body got used to them so I had higher dose of 7.5mg, same got used to them I need 15mg. Side affects are bad, memory loss, confusion,.
GP recommended amitriptyline as it helps you sleep and is not addictive. Again started of with low dose 10mg, moved to 25mg but if I take it continuously they don’t help my sleep as I get used to them. They also have side affects, still feel anxious. So I would prefer natural alternatives.

2 Likes

Dear @saidajanjua ,

So lovely to see you in the treehouse. Fingers x’ed we are just working on such natural plant based alternatives hitting different pathways of sleeplessness. Really happy to have you on this journey with us. KM

2 Likes

Dear Tia,

I shared these links earlier on another chat but copying them below in case you find some of the summaries of interest! Let me know what you think.

KM

sofi scientific summary papers:

Part I - The pharmacological pathways of sleeplessness:
DocSend

Part II - The pharmacological pathways of anxiety:
DocSend

Part III - Plants for treating sleeplessness:
DocSend

Part IV - Plants for treating anxiety:
DocSend

2 Likes