Sleep deprived memory

Does anyone know if forgetfulness is linked to insomnia as recently I have found myself forgetting simple things and it’s becoming regular sleeping has been it’s usual spasmodic self nothing changed, just a red flag does this happen to anyone else

3 Likes

Chris, I can’t believe you posted this as it is entirely something I have always believed. I spent much of my 20s, 30s not sleeping - averaging 3 hours of sleep a night - thinking that was 2 sleep cycles or something like that. Now I think my memory is totally shot! There is something lovely in having a terrible memory - you can experience the joy of discovering the same thing many times (to everyone else’s mild annoyance)! I have no medical evidence to tie the two … but I totally feel that way at least in my case.

4 Likes

I’m glad I’m not alone in this Its the first time I’ve experienced this
Thanks for response

4 Likes

Thank you for posting!

2 Likes

have a read of this article:

in short: “” Lack of sleep. Not getting enough sleep is perhaps the greatest unappreciated cause of forgetfulness. Too little restful sleep can also lead to mood changes and anxiety, which in turn contribute to problems with memory.""

another interesting read:

Amongst others it states: “”"Imaging and behavioral studies continue to show the critical role sleep plays in learning and memory. Researchers believe that sleep affects learning and memory in two ways:

• Lack of sleep impairs a person’s ability to focus and learn efficiently.
  • Sleep is necessary to consolidate a memory (make it stick) so that i
    “”"""

In that sense: SLEEP WELL!

5 Likes

I have the exact same problem @chris.king5 @Kaveh , and find it quite embarrassing at times!

I am very aware of it and try to use note taking to help me remember things.

And yes, it’s true that one of the benefits is that you get the experience some amazing things multiple times :grin:

4 Likes

I really struggle with names - so here is my trick … I find it easier to remember names I sometimes give to people than the ones that their mum’s gave them! I have a knack for (re)naming sofi team members (to which the team has shown great tolerance)! But my memory is becoming rather shocking … is there anything you guys have found as way of practice to “stretch” your memory and recall? I have heard you can train yourself to recover some … here’s hoping!

4 Likes

I have to admit I suffer with severe social anxiety, sleeplessness and depression. I feel my memory loss is linked to these problems. My short term memory is terrible it’s frightening

5 Likes