Wrecking me life!

5.35 am and I’m still awake. I think one main reason I have found that my be unhelpful to my sleep. I have a daughter who also struggles with sleep. She has many different mental health problem including OCD,she can’t sleep before me. Really think that is a massive part of all this

2 Likes

Has CBT every been discussed for both yourself and your daughter.

1 Like

Yes, I have had CBT. My daughter is currently waiting to start it. Hoping that it’s really beneficial for her :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

That’s good, try journaling for both of you.

I thought journaling was stupid, then I started it, when I’m struggling. I write down what’s bothering me, then start breaking it down, why is it bothering, why do I feel like this, what’s causing me to react this way, then I start building it back up, rather than ( why it’s bothering me), I swap to (what if I change my perspective).

I think I said on another post, I give this advice to my eldest in Army. When life is out of control, stop and Shout fuck it like you mean it, hands up in air and shout it several times. Its actually amazing feeling.

Good luck to the both of you.

6 Likes

I’m always shouting that :rofl::rofl: I’ll look in to journaling, thankyou so much

1 Like

Thanks @triplethreat3 . Could you share a bit more about the specific type / structure of journalling you do?
I have once done journalling for a month. Was called the “morning journalling” and the exercise was very, very liberating: write down 3 pages in the morning. ANYTHING that comes to mind - A N Y T H I N G. No judging, no limitations; just write it down. Single words or sentences - it doesn’t matter. Just write… and don’t worry about repeating thoughts. New ones will eventually pop up…

At first, 3 pages was an awful challenge. Over time though, things just kept coming and the 3 pages were filled with (relative) ease.
The aim of the exercise was to dig deep into my subconscious - unearth topics that might be troubling deep down. Bring up those topics and allow the. mind and body to deal with those issues.
It is quite time-consuming, it’s 3 pages every day after all… but from experience: a great exercise and really beneficial.

6 Likes

I studied CBT after going through a difficult time in my life.

I do what is called a Thought Diary or Journal. I only do this when I’m stressed or struggling. CBT is based on the practice that our thoughts and attitudes determine how we feel and behave, and that through breaking down these thoughts and questioning our reaction, we can change the pattern. You have to understand why you had the thoughts and why you react that way, to be able to then think if I look at this situation a different way, how can I change my reaction physically and mentally.

But for

By doing Thought journals, I’m able to pick up negative thought patterns. See patterns.

I even do a thought and draw journal, I draw something that makes me happy, calm, funny. When I’m doing a though journal I want to associate positive Thought patterns with something , so a doodle in a separate book with the positives I’ve come up with.

4 Likes

CBT was an awesome tool that my younger daughter used to learn to manage some of her anxiety. I can’t speak highly enough of the potential of it and thank you so much for bringing and sharing that here Virginia. KM

4 Likes

I’m in a similar situation with my child, this post has definitely given out food for thought, thank you!

3 Likes

Have you ever looked at EFT Tapping? It’s a super-easy method that you can easily and quickly learn at home. I was very sceptical but I can honestly say it really works. I have taught it to patients and to my son and once you lrean the method it’s very easily adaptable. There are some great free resources out there on sites like thetappingsolution.com that I would trust.

4 Likes

This has been mentioned before actually. I must read up on it and give it a try. Anything is worth a shot. X

3 Likes

I have never used tapping for sleep but it did once get me through a presentation at university. I was so nervous that I went for hypnotherapy and she showed me.
Does anyone use hypnotherapy for sleep to rock them off. I have done and it sometimes works. I’ve tried all sorts. Binaural beats, soundbath, yoga nidri etc. Often the rhythmic sound of Stephen Fry’s or David attenborough’s voice may do it. :joy:
But then the next night it doesn’t work!! :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Hi @nikirockz I have never used hypnotherapy. I find hypnosis to be quite a scary idea. I know some people have used it to quit smoking for example. But the idea that someone can influence you to such an extend, while not being aware yourself is pretty freaky :grimacing:

But background noise does seem to work for a lot of people. I think it especially helps when thoughts are whirling as you can concentrate on something other than your own thoughts and just drift off.

I wonder why it only works one night in a row for you. Is it because you get used to it and start listening? Or is it variety you need?

1 Like

Hey @vincent , I work alongside a hypnotherapist at my clinic and just wanted to put your mind at rest that you are ALWAYS aware and in control in that kind of hypnosis. It’s not like the Derren Brown mind control type stuff. :slight_smile:

There is a theory that background noise works because it’s like the swishing nosies we all heard in the womb - which is why you can now buy white noise tracks to get your newborn to sleep (WHY did they come out just after my wee boy was past that stage??!!)

Not sure about why it only works one night, but if someone was hypervigilant through anxiety then we might tend to get used to noises and then put them to the back of our minds and be on full alert again… maybe that’s got something to do with it? A bit like going noseblind - you smell a strong smell for some minutes but then you stop noticing it - it’s a survival mechanism so that you can smell the next dangerous thing! Or so I understand anyway!

5 Likes

@pamelaspence your Darren Brown reference is spot on! Exactly what I had in mind :joy:

3 Likes

My psychic radar was on :grin:

2 Likes

Am I right in thinking that you have to be relaxed to be hypnotised , it’s very difficult for me to relax or is it the therapy that relaxes us

5 Likes

I wonder that too. I’ve tried to be hypnotized but it’s never worked.

3 Likes

I know right if we could relax we would probably sleep for longer than an hour🤣

4 Likes

It’s a bit of both to be honest. If you can sot in a chair and close your eyes then the hypnotherapist should be able to get you into a relaxed state, but it doesn’t work for everyone and you are always in control.

4 Likes