Anxiety/sleeplessness and brain shocks

Oh what kind of dancing is that?

2 Likes

It’s kinda like Zumba but with Bollywood :musical_note: and styling. I’m certified in the low impact version.

2 Likes

I’m sorry this is plaguing you and that doctors have made you feel like it’s “just” anxiety! I believe I know exactly what you’re talking about because I have them too! @dcasarett is right - it’s likely from nerve impingement - I have cervical spinal stenosis with bone spurs that cause nerve impingement feeling like electrical shocks down my limbs into my hands and through my legs, primarily on the right side - especially when I lay down to go to sleep. It is horrible and I can feel them coming from the base of my skull - it is very scary and painful! This was diagnosed via MRI and once it was, I was seen by a neurologist for nerve conduction studies. At my worst, I was treated with Gabapentin and spinal injections of cortisone. I no longer take gabapentin but still need injections periodically. I believe they help me most with the electrical shock feelings but a good pillow and mattress do help too. I’m looking forward to seeing if the sofi stick medicine will help too.

5 Likes

That’s fab!! Sounds like good fun :grin:

3 Likes

Hi @kaneary thank you so much for telling me about what happens to you. It’s horrible I’m sorry but glad you had it diagnosed. It means alot to me to hear this as it gives me options to say to the doctor so it’s very much appreciated :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. Do you mind me asking does yours happen most nights and is it just at night like myself? I have a numbness/ tingly feeling n my left foot, I’ve had it for years but it doesn’t cause me any problems so I’ve just left it, I wonder if it’s related. I can’t tell you enough how lovely it is to hear from you and that there’s maybe something I can push at to get something done. Thank you and I hope your doing well :pray:t2: :grinning:

5 Likes

@bottons1 it doesn’t happen as much because I get injections but, yes, mostly at night. It also used to happen when I would turn my head like to look over my shoulder while driving. What I do have most often is a burning sensation (like steam) intermittently in my limbs and tingling in my hands and feet. I also have bone spurs in my feet and it causes me to feel a vibration like my foot is on a cell phone and it can get very frustrating because it happens constantly. Now I do have an autoimmune disease too that has caused the bone spurs as well as a vitamin B12 deficiency so it’s hard to know what is causing the nerve stuff but if they subside with my B12 injections then I address the symptoms with a specialty doc - for example, the foot buzzing symptoms had to be addressed by a podiatrist and is helped by removing callouses and using orthotic inserts in my shoes. I sure hope I haven’t overwhelmed you - and that you can find some relief soon! Hang in there :sun_with_face:

3 Likes

Good god that sounds awful, what an ordeal you have/are going through!! :weary:thanks for sharing this is all with me it’s very helpful to hear. Hopefully sofi will help!! I can’t wait to try, have you received your surprise? I’m still waiting on mine

3 Likes

Unfortunately I was born faulty so it’s “normal” for me LOL, but aging sure sucks :wink:! Yes, I am really excited to see how Sofi helps! I received my surprise yesterday :gift_heart: I’m in California, where are you located? Hopefully you’ll get yours very soon and that the sofi stick will help your symptoms! I know that not getting good sleep makes everything worse, so I’m really hopeful that sofi will help everyone’s quality of life here :revolving_hearts:

4 Likes

Oh lovely!! I’m in Scotland, UK. That’s funny I say the same about me. We’re Unique :grin:. That’s exciting, I’ve not got mine yet, I’m hoping it’ll be here soon. Is it warm in California, it’s quite mild here considering time of year, 7 degree here, almost like summer :rofl:

4 Likes

@bottons1 I’d love to visit Scotland some day! Today it is sunny in the East Bay Area (of San Francisco) with a high of 64 degrees (F) and low of 41 (according to the news) so it will be warm midday but cold (and windy) otherwise. This is winter so temperatures do dip down into the 30s at night… and while I know that may not be very cold for most people it surely is here and feels much colder when it’s foggy/overcast like it has been and will be for another month or so. What is the warmest time of year to visit Scotland?

4 Likes

I get these too. Worse the less sleep I’ve had. They started around the time I began a new controlled medicine but have never stopped despite discontinuing the meds. I also have spine issues :man_shrugging:t2::grin:. It seems once you’ve mentioned anxiety at any time in your life every subsequent issue is conveniently determined ‘anxiety!’

3 Likes

Oh this takes me back… The worst “brain zaps” I remember feeling was when I was prescribed an antidepressant called Effexor… the electrical shocks were much different than what I get from the nerve impingement in my cervical spine @bottons1 … I remember that it was really bad and dreamlike (like an altered state) when I got them - especially anytime I had alcohol. I was young (29 years old) and didn’t realize you absolutely can not mix them. These brain zaps would shoot electrical shocks through my whole body mostly at night trying to sleep but also happened during the day, I think when the medication was wearing off or when I forgot to take it at a specific time. It was awful and I had to stop taking it because of that.

2 Likes

Ditto. I got brain zaps coming off Sertraline, it took a good 5/6 months for those to stop, nightmare. But the jerks started after taking Ritalin. The most annoying thing is that when I finally start to drop off, the jerks bring me right back to wide awake state! Probably because these meds are also prescribed for people who have cataplexy! Meds eh! Can’t live with 'em, can’t cope without 'em :grin:

1 Like

without knowing anybody’s story in this forum…
In an ideal world, we would be able to heal our body sufficiently so that most of those regular medications can be eliminated. There are great ways to improve immune system, improve our microbiome, support our nervous system etc.
Unfortunately, for many it’s not an option for various reasons.
So I am definitely not addressing anyone here - just putting it out there that oftentimes it could pay-off to look for solutions to reduce the amount of regular medication.

6 Likes

I was at my drs last week for the exact same symptoms and it was put down to the fact that I had stopped my medication. I was on Sertraline 150mg and Beta blockers. It’s been more than 2 weeks since I stopped and still getting them.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, I’ve been off of sertraline and Wellbutrin now for 2 months and still getting them - though intermittently. I’m not sure how long they last but I just received my S2 Passiflora and am anxious to see if it helps that issue. I believe getting deep sleep does help as I’ve noticed mine seem to be happening a lot more noticeably on days when my sleep was total shit and/or very few hours the night before.

2 Likes

I am glad to read this as I thought something was seriously wrong with me, hopefully it helps you. I’m still waiting for my stone to arrive so it’ll be a while until I start s3

2 Likes