Anxiety/sleeplessness and brain shocks

Hi all I’m hoping I’m not going to sound crazy here. I have had problems with anxiety and sleep on and off mostly I. My adult life certain things trigger it. When I’m feeling very anxious before trying to sleep I get a thing called brain shock. When I was younger they started just in my brain but I now get them up arms across my chest and in my legs. It literally feels like I’m being electrocuted. Docs have been utterly useless. These have gradually got externally bad and painful over the years but I can now control them if I distract myself or get out bed do something else. Have u guys ever heard of this, or know the right name for it. Would be so nice to speak to someone else that understands how I feel and could suggest anything they do to help :grinning:

8 Likes

Sorry this is happening - it sounds like it could give you quite a fright! Have you seen a neurologist about this? I know you said docs have not been helpful but sometimes it’s a case of fighting to get referred to the person who does understand!
And you don’t sound crazy at all :blush:

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing - this sounds concerning; must not be easy to have to deal with this.
I would echo @pamelaspence and try seeing doctors covering fields you might not yet have.
I have once had a discussion with someone with similar symptoms (at least it sounded similar to a layman like me) and what helped her was taking fish oil supplements. She was generally referring to her symptoms as brain shakes and fish oil somehow helped to reduce the impact of the brain shakes. It wasn’t the ‘cure-all’ remedy - and in any case her situation might have been very different from yours.
All in all though, fish oil seems to be safe enough to give it a try, I would still recommend you talk about this with your GP and do some reading.
Here a link to an article about it on the web: FISH OIL: Overview, Uses, Side Effects, Precautions, Interactions, Dosing and Reviews

Good luck - and may your condition improve soon enough!!

4 Likes

Thank you for replying!! It’s horrific tbh but thankfully it doesn’t happen all of the time. Doctor says it’s anxiety, I’ve been on every tablet under the sun and I’ve had enough now. That’s why when I seen sofi I was so excited maybe something natural I can help myself with instead of poisoning my body full of meds which clearly don’t help. I will however ask to be referred but it’s like pulling teeth, I don’t know they believe me and no wonder it does sound strange :frowning:. Thanks for listening

4 Likes

Hi sorry I’m still not sure how to use this with replying so I’m doing it all individually lol. Thank you I’ll definitely try that and have a read through the link you sent me!!! Thank you for listening :grinning:

2 Likes

Where in the World are you @bottons1 ? In the UK it would be about requesting a neurology appointment via your GP (though they need to decide it’s the right pathway for you first) in the US I think you have more control over the referral (if you have adequate insurance). Worth chasing up though … And fish oils are regarded as very safe (they are a food after all) as @Laurent suggested although should not be taken with any blood thinning medication.

2 Likes

Hey, I’m in sunny Scotland :rofl:. This has went on for years on and off. I refused to go on any sort of antidepressant years ago and I was made to feel like a hypercondriact (sorry don’t know how to spell that word) after a few years I agreed and then they acknowledge it as anxiety :face_with_raised_eyebrow:. But I tend to think they blame everything on anxiety just like ailments and viral infections.

6 Likes

Ah - me too! :grin: Delicate question but might it be possible for anyone to film this happening to you? Or is it too sporadic / not much to see? Sometimes that can help get the point across…
It is true that anxiety can cause all sorts of strange reactions in the body - but no-one should be made to feel like a hypochondriac. It’s also true that sometimes antidepressants can help with these sorts of things BUT there are very valid reasons why people may not want to start taking them. Plant medicine does offer a whole lot more options or tools in the box, if you like.

3 Likes

I never thought of that. Ye u can physically see me jolt so that’s a good idea I could record myself. That sounds strange lol but useful thank you for your help

4 Likes

Welcome. Hope you get someone to take you seriously! They use video a lot in neurological wards to try to get a sense of what the patient is describing- that’s what made me think of it.

4 Likes

Ah do they, such a good idea thank you! :grinning:

2 Likes

That’s brilliant @pamelaspence. Thank you so much for your comments on this! And @bottons1 we really going to work hard to see if we can get plants to make a difference so thx so much for being a part of this journey with us! :pray:

3 Likes

Hi bottons1. Sorry for the late reply. I couldn’t log in as the CMO of sofi so I’m here as just a random doctor. But FWIW: 1) So sorry–that sounds horrible!; 2) There is a common effect of myoclonic jerks–basically big twitches–that occur when people fall asleep. They’re totally benign, but what you’re describing seems different; 3) Agree with Pamela/others that a neurologist would be a good move. Electric shocks that start in the spine and radiate our are worrisome for nerve impingement. That’s an anatomical problem that can cause long-term damage, especially if it’s progressing. I’m not saying for sure that’s what it is–and it’s pretty uncommon, so it’s statistically unlikely–but would definitely want to rule that out. Here in the US, we’d get a spine MRI (because we get imaging studies on everyone…). Hope that helps?

5 Likes

Antidepressants can be tricky. I was on Zoloft for a few years and had to quit because it made my reaction time to just about everything slow down too much.

I’m so grateful for being part of sofi!! It’s a strange one for me because I don’t do social media at all. I’m on Twitter but I’ve never commented or spoke I just like to read what’s going on. So this talking online took a lot of courage but I think I’m getting there and by next week you’ll all be sick of me :rofl:. I don’t quite understand what I’m doing I’ve noticed peoples names with @……, aha it just come up with names when I put in @. So I take it I click on name and it enters into text? Geeso sorry that’s a book I’ve just written lol. Thank you :blush:

8 Likes

Hi there thank you so much for all that info. This started when I was in my early 20s and was only in my head/brain and it feels like an electric shock. Gradually over the years depending on life it has gotten worse. I get it everywhere now up my arms, across my chest and in my legs which jump with it. Thankfully it’s not a constant thing and at the moment it’s not too bad. I’ve just learned to live with it as not really any other option. I don’t think my doctors will be interested as they’ve labelled it as anxiety but I will speak to him and see what he says. It’s worth a try. Thank you for your advice and knowledge it’s much appreciated :grinning:

4 Likes

I’ve never heard of that one. I didn’t feel they helped me I felt no difference at the time. How are you doing are you keeping well?:grinning:

2 Likes

I have days when I’m down but cardio helps.

3 Likes

What kind of cardio do you enjoy? I like les mills but it’s hard when not sleeping to find the energy at times. It does make you feel good after though doesn’t it

2 Likes

Really any cardio will do but especially :dancer:t4: it out with BollyX.

2 Likes