Night time panic attacks

Hello everyone… new to chat

I had another terrible nights sleep last night and was just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced night time panic attacks?
Last night I woke up after trying for 2 hours to get to sleep.
I usually do a guided sleep meditation to help get off , so that was still playing on my phone .
I felt so panicked and had to run to the bathroom. I felt as if I was going to have a heart attack!!!
I was sweating and my heart was beating so hard.
It seems so strange to have a panic attack at night ,in your sleep!!
Needless to say this will add to my sleep worries.
I was was also wondering if it’s worth visiting the G.P ?
Thanks Kat

6 Likes

Night time terrors may not be as strange as you might think @kat. And I am sure something that both @pamelaspence and @stephendahmermd probably have come across. Perhaps some of the folks also have experienced it here. Thank you so much for sharing.

5 Likes

Hi lovely. I have had panic attacks in the middle of the night too. I guess our overthinking brains just never stop! :blue_heart:

5 Likes

Thank you :blush: makes me feel less worried knowing others are going through it .

6 Likes

Thank you ,yes it’s interesting to know that’s other people are struggling.

6 Likes

Sorry Kat - just catching up on threads here. Night time panic attacks are not uncommon. My teacher used to explain that when our adrenal glands (that pump out our stress hormones) are tired from overuse (like coping with modern life!) that they go off ‘like a burst hose’. I always liked that image because it explains well the fact that they can suddenly pump out adrenaline at inappropriate times - like when we’re chilling out or even, fast asleep!

So a way to help might be to pay attention to your stress levels, cut out caffeine completely (it increases your adrenaline levels) and try to give your adrenals time to recuperate. Herb teas can be helpful here too - calming ones that are very safe for everyone, like chamomile. Basically anything in the supermarket herbal infusions aisle that has a name like ‘Calm’ or ‘Relax’.

Hope that helps!

8 Likes

Thank you for that reply…I was worried it was my mental health going down hill so thats reassuring .I do nap in the day fairly regularly tbh and caffeine is the only thing keeping me going so maybe it’s time for a change :thinking: xx

4 Likes

You’re welcome - I’m glad it was helpful. Whatever you can do to cut down the caffeine will start to help - and it will gradually stop giving you energy anyway so it’s better to build a more sustainable plan for energy. Try limiting it from late afternoon for a start and see how you go maybe?

2 Likes

Hey, quite new here, but wanted to share my experience as this is closely related to one of the reasons I am here in the first place.

I don’t experience panic attacks per sé, but I have recently been experiencing what I think is anxiety-related heart palpitations. These come very close to panic attacks sometimes. I will lie awake running through different scenarios of different situations (and possible situations) in my head that I think leads to anxiety and then heart palpitations. My heart will skip a beat every now and then, bringing with it “flushes” throughout my body, leading to worsened anxiety.

But it sounds absolutely horrible getting that close to a full blown panic attack!
I sincerely hope you experience improvements in that area.
Sometimes it helps me to remember previous evenings of sleep where whatever I am worried about or pondering on, was not an issue; but the issue itself was present then. That brings me back to earth and reminds me that I am overthinking the problem and that what is important is that I should focus on sleeping.

Good luck!

7 Likes

Its a real issue to fight your own thoughts and demons its a very lonely palce at times and annoying when people who don’t suffer and shrug it off because its not happened to them so its hard for them to comprehend.

It has really taken away how I felt on insomnia chatting away with this diverse group of kind people who I’ve never felt judged by. Z

When ready and feel comfortable to chat do as im sure you will feel a lot better for it.

7 Likes

I too get the heart palpitations at night. ECG ruled any heart condition thankfully but it is quite scary to be laying there, feeling your heart pumping through your chest, all while coping with the breathlessness and dizziness that is associated (for myself at least) its amazing what anxiety does to our physical and mental health, especially when it is associated with sleep.

6 Likes

Definitely. I am yet to go check out my heart with EKG but am unable to do so immediately and have to wait another month or so as I am not close to my doc at the moment.
But anxiety is a foul beast indeed. And I have a highly stressful work environment and spills over into my professional life. It is why I am actively working on changing this, but from what I know mental conditions cannot be ‘solved’, they can only be managed. But this is just my experience :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’ve had mental health problems for 25 years now (yep I’m old, 40 this year :sob:) and I agree, they never go away completely. I guess it’s all about finding things that are helpful in managing your symptoms. Yet again, shows how important a good sleep routine is.

5 Likes

Cannot agree more. If I’m allowed to take a deeper dive into the general sense of this statement; I’ve seen too many people go into a situation where they start to struggle with mental issues (whether it be sleep related or not) and seek help from whatever source and end up not getting the ‘solution’ as it were. they give up, become negative towards the whole healing process and this, in turn, does more damage to the existing issue than the initial issue itself. My opinion on this is that solving sleep/depression/anxiety issues is not so much a matter of finding a solution as it is finding a way to accept it.
The idea of the ‘uncarved block’ as we see in Taoism, is that you are made perfect the way you are. Flaws and all. The world made us believe that this is unnatural. Sleeping “patterns” are created by the norm. We need sleep. This we know. But what does that mean? Does it mean we need to be asleep at certain times? If you have a career expecting this, then the answer is yes. But this remains a fact based on a career choice for example. We should be kind to ourselves in knowing that we might be struggling with accepting things that come from external powers. That we ourselves are not doing anything wrong. We are merely fighting in the effort to go against our grain. It is in a sense unnatural for some.
My psychologist once told me that as long as I have MY pattern and my schedule. Why worry that this is wrong? It changed my perspective. I am trying to fit myself as a square-shaped being into the world as a round-shaped hole.
We deal with things as individuals. There is no solution. There is OUR solution. What do WE need to do to be functioning in a round-shaped world as otherly shaped beings? Most have this question. Few know that this is the question and expect that they are also round in shape.

Then again, what do I know XD

6 Likes

Couldn’t agree more @sheldonlkumm
This is exactly what bio-individuality is about. This is why I also believe Sofi is powerful with their N-1 concept.
The path to find MY way, MY solutions is however super complex and not easy at all. Mainstream media, modern medicine, lots (and diverse) research are often coming out with conflicting / contradicting information.
In that sense, I do also believe finding MY resources is also key. And for me personally, I make it a habit to constantly find resources that are confirming my view and finding those that are contradicting my views.

4 Likes

But perhaps there is a reward in the journey being not too easy! @sheldonlkumm absolutely love what you have shared here and as @laurent.rossier points out this is entirely the basis of sofi - the “N-of-1” approach. The idea of rather than creating a solution for the “herd” let’s help @sheldonlkumm and @laurent.rossier discover something about themselves, unique to themselves, that they would struggle to discover otherwise … it is called “N-of-1” as the sample size of the study rather than being 100 blind and a 100 placebo etc which is wonderful at creating generics focuses on simply the response of Sheldon or Laurent. It’s why we begin with baselining cause we realised there is no such thing as “normal” … I can’ get the pioneer to stand on a scale with Newtonian force and compare someone’s “ok” with another person’s “ok” … we are going to unveil to you our “sofi brain” shortly as part of the my.sofi.health/me which we are looking to alpha test with you guys in about two weeks time … you will see exactly how we are going to start deploying N-of-1 … and by the way, nothing we do at sofi is about suggesting somehow that the way we do modern medicine and pharma is wrong … it simply recognises that it has limitations. And sometimes an individual approach may help the individual more especially if they can judge their individual progress against themselves over time. Thank you both for this amazing way to kick start Monday!! :pray:

3 Likes

Hi, I don’t believe I have ever been depressed but I do get to the point where, because I am so tired and it’s now 5pm and no sign of sleep I start to experience restless leg syndrome and itching (like tiny pin pricks) all over my body and want to scream out loud. Because I rarely get more than 2 to 4 hrs of sleep a night and not until the early hours, I am very worried that it might lead to depression. I am banking all my hopes that the Sofi Pods will be my saviour and can’t wait to receive them before I end up insane.

5 Likes

Hi Catherine

Welcome to the tree House:)
No matter what you’re never alone in this community :heart_eyes: I’m sure there is another chat in here where some others have spoken about restless leg syndrome, you may find something in there beneficial to you :slight_smile:

4 Likes