The ability to stay calm

After yet another nasty sleepless night I’ve found myself filling up with anger towards myself after a few weeks of staying in control it’s now slipped away again and I know it’s on a slide . It’s so hard to be normal during the day , I become quiet and withdrawn I think it’s like two different people. When I was very young I constantly had horrific night terrors whilst being awake which messed me up at school because I was so confused and I feel like that now. I expect we are all fighting in our minds for control over our sleep and this is why it’s great having the treehouse to vent in knowing everyone on here understands. We all seem to be searching for calmness and control , warm drinks ,certain foods,bedtime rituals being the go to help but I sometimes wonder if we are hardwired different that’s why we are so ready for Sofi

14 Likes

I hope you will never lose site of those goals Chris … they are what we strive for - more calm, more sleep - not because it is easy, but because it is hard. We will nudge each other forward on this journey. The destination may always be on the horizon, but at least we won’t travel alone. One more days in the year to push us forward! KM

9 Likes

Really sorry you’ve had such a difficult night. I’m sure you’ve tried so many things that rather than add anything else to your list, just wanted you to know that we hear you and we see you. :pray:

10 Likes

I agree, my mum and brother struggles to sleep and I was diagnosed with ADHD in the summer at 44. I go through periods of really stressing out before bed, dreading the night ahead. I often can’t wait till that first chink of light and another night is over. But like you say this then affects my behaviour during the day. I’m less bubbly, less me. This goes on for a while and I’m so cross with myself.
I then know I have to go back to basics. I think this will be something I always have to live with but if I have better coping mechanisms and strategies in place hopefully the bad night phobia will become less.
Fingers crossed for us all and here’s to a super snoozy 2022!! Xx

10 Likes

Excellent perspective, yes I think we are all supposed to be here with Sofi and each other too.:yellow_heart::seedling:

7 Likes

Challenging to read this - and I hope that your next night will be much better Chris!

6 Likes

I know the feeling :pensive: I have hat now two night without proper sleep. My body is aching and I’m so tired and constantly getting short tempered and grumpy with who ever and what ever. And even now my body is tired but my brain won’t calm down. Here is to 2022 to have a great new sleeping pattern.

7 Likes

Do you find time (and energy) to do some sports?
I know there are so many tips and recommendations. Just wonder if you are physically active to tire the body in other ways.

5 Likes

I’m on my feet all day ride around three horses a day. Muck out about 12 stables every day. Running behind sheep’s cows and dogs :rofl::rofl: my body got used to a active life stile. :weary:

5 Likes

try HIIT (high intensity interval training). you can push your body into ‘new’ and ‘unknown’ territory. Because you are absolutely right: the body gets used to a lot!

4 Likes

I’m sorry to hear you’re struggling at the moment @chris.king5

I too have had a lot of frustration and was very angry with myself for not being able to sleep.

And although I still don’t sleep well, I have forgiven myself for often struggling to sleep. It’s just part of me and although something I’d like to change, I am not longer frustrated or angry with myself, but instead just take my bed rest as just that. Wether I sleep or not, at least I’m resting. :man_shrugging:

8 Likes

I too have come to accept my inability to sleep and, after 20 yrs of it I am almost out ideas on how to solve it. I read a comment from an article that said rest was almost as good as sleep so yes sometimes it’s just about acceptance and rest. Hopefully it will get better.

8 Likes

Hi Eevie it’s so frustrating isn’t it but why should we just accept no sleep as the norm and anyone who says rest is just as good as sleep clearly doesn’t struggle to sleep , the great thing is here in the treehouse everyone can relate to all the issues we all suffer with

5 Likes

So sorry to hear all these SLEEPLESSNESS! I am anxious ALL the time … but i put head on pillow at 10pm and within nanosecond :zzz: :sleeping:… AND THEN WAKE IN A NANOSECOND (well feels that way - 3am sweating :sweat: then again 5am sweating) lay awake till 6am then get up! - feeling tired!
i also grind my teeth to hell - wake with serious sore jaw…
So after using the spray for a week i am actually “missing” the 3am sweating … but not the 5am …
Just feels like i am NOT getting ENOUGH sleeps and THAT too makes me anxious :grimacing:

4 Likes

It will be super interesting to see how your sleep evolves @natascha_mani … when we studied all the different ways that sleeplessness materialises in someone there was something like nine different pathways … and valerian hits one or two very common ones … so both your response as well your potential Nike response will be a discovery that will aid us to get closer to a plant that may make a material contribution! The next plant we are looking at is passiflora which will hit sleeplessness differently and you will be automatically enrolled into that program (S2) as well as long as you continue on your journey we will go there with you and see what we find together! xx :pray:

4 Likes

Thank you
I swear i am doing.sooooo much better with the night sweats :sweat:… i had atleast 3-5 suddenly waking with elevated heart rate and sweaty - its nearly like a nightmare
I am only waking 2 times … and NO sweats durimg the day :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I have been on the blue spray first and unfortunately my sticknpaired and then unpaired and would not work -.so the joirnal is only on day 2 … i am a week and a half in already (9 days
Have no idea how to fix the journal

3 Likes

Have you tried pairing with another bottle, and then switching back again?

3 Likes

Hi Chris, I’m a newbie on here, just done day 12 baselining, I know how you feel, the anger and the despair, and I bet theres a whole lot of people out there who haven’t discovered Sofi yet. I too am having a terrible few months of little sleep, no restorative sleep. You blame yourself, your body, mind and spirit, everyone is different, we all have something that keep us awake, and then when we get up the next day, usually in the wee small hours for me. I’ve started going for walks, in the middle of the night, I find that I can think better, get things into perspective and as I live on the outskirts, I I know I can go for a walk safely, and I can just scream, wuthout disturbing anyone, hopefully I dont disturb anyone. But it helps me, i dont know if you’ve tried doing that, its worth trying, so long as its safe though. I have a nighlt ritual of a hot lavender bath, a milky drink, I have tried the herbal teas, not for me, smell and taste like soap, I can manage a few sips, but then my gag reflex takes over. I also have audible books, they help, I use just one earbud, and find if I set it for an hour, I’m generally asleep before it ends, I put lavender oil spray on my pillow and top if the quilt, or on the carpet by my bed, my problem is staying asleep, and then getting back to sleep after I wake up. I dont know if you tried any or all of those things, people have told me to meditate, personally I can’t, you may be able to. If, like me, you have something that your anxious or worrying about, is there a way to either sort those things out, or at least come to terms with them? I had a cancer diagnosis in June, have an op early October, thats whats my problem is, I can’t solve it, nnly try to deal with it, not well at the moment!!! I hope you find your way to better sleep, or at least restorative sleep, i see you had nightmares as a child, i hope you dont have them now, I to listen to a man on YouTube, he had a soothing voice, but he also teaches you how to be present in your dreams, so how you know when you’re dreaming, and how to change the way its going. Lucid dreaming sleep, Jason Stephenson. Worth a try. Hope you’re doing ok today, and that you have better sleep tonight.

3 Likes

Hi MissTQ
I feel for you knowing what you’re going through,I know its extremely difficult but if there is any glimmer of hope it’s here with Sofi
The pods do work yes everyone is different but eventually one will help please stay strong and hopefully we all come out the other side better because of Sofi :muscle:

3 Likes

Hi Chris, thanks for the message, I know I’m in for a battle, if you read my profile you’ll see what’s gonna happen, luckily it’s only stage 2, so it’s early, though nodes are involved, I will need chemo after my op, I am finding sleep challenging, people keep telling me that I should be feeling tired all the time, I am, but still sleep avoids me, I think after the op things will change, and I will probably be tired after chemo, at the moment I may just be over thinking it, I don’t know, I’m still baselining, but my pebble is on the way, hopefully sofi will help me. I do feel for you, its hard to think let alone do anything after poor sleep, or none at all, I’m sleeping but never more than an hour, I’d do anything 4o have 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep, o can’t remember the last time I slept well, I hope you get some good sleep tonight, all will seem better if you do. Take care Rosie

3 Likes