Sleep & Allergies

Along the lines of Sleep & Periods, we should talk about the effect of allergies on sleep, both seasonal and year-round (what I have).

No pills or sprays have made any significant difference. When I have a flare-up I have to use a Breathe Right strip to open up my nasal passage just enough to breathe at night.

What have you found that works to help you breathe and/or sleep at night when you’re suffering from allergies?

4 Likes

Me too, I also do a neti pot.

1 Like

They had me try that too.

I have this little allergen buds that sit inside nose, in summer brilliant, take some getting used to though.

I’m a bugger for olbas oil, live it, find it so relaxing clearing.

Other than that I take an antihistamine daily. I have purifiers in every room. Spray for house that use daily in worst of season, which traps allergens.

2 Likes

I have terrible grass pollen allergies … pretty much pollen count has the biggest impact on how (if) I sleep for a month or two … it’s s shame cause I love the smell of fresh cut grass so much! I have tried everything … including acupuncture which does work for like two days (which I really found impressive) but found that I just didn’t have the bandwidth to keep on repeating … so my over the counter choice is cetirizine hydrochloride … take one of those a day … but a few years ago I found my solution - one steroid shot a year just before the season get awful in the buttocks (as Mr Gump would say) … I suspect my Olympic career is shot but just not having continuous symptoms (that worsen to seasonal asthma) is worth the sacrifice! Really up for sofi some day helping with some kind of mirco dosing pollen desensitisation … our backlog keeps on growing! KM ps @enricovarano let’s add pollen count to externalities we want to reflect into sofi brain.

5 Likes

Is that the kenalog injection? I’ve been looking at possibly getting mine done next year myself. I always find myself struggling with grass pollen. :weary::weary:

2 Likes

This is what they tested. What’s highlighted are the things I’m allergic to. I guess they’re not bad enough as they’ve never suggested steroid shots.

1 Like

I will find out for you … go to a private practice to get it as wouldn’t be administered on NHS here in the U.K. makes a world of difference for me.

2 Likes

I have the same issue with blocked nose at night time and tried the chemical sprays amd the natural ones… Both quite expensive for what you get so i contacted my doctor and he gave me a. Steroid nasal spray called mometasine furoate.
Fixed the problem for me, might be worth asking your gp?
Merry Christmas.

4 Likes

Hi as someone who had kenalog injections to control Rhuematoid arthritis I would not recommend them. My experience was horrible it did help with joint pain and inflammation but the mood swings and temper tantrums were so not worth it. The smallest thing could set me off and I would never take them again, normally I am very mindful of others and patient but this was really Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde scary stuff. :blush:

2 Likes

Oh really? I wonder what caused it :thinking:

1 Like

Air purifiers, I use them in every room, I’m also on an asthma tablet at night which helps allergies, take an antihistamine on an evening and morning as I love dogs, but am allergic to short pale furred dogs, I know I shouldn’t have them, I love them so much.

There are room sprays available which keep, dust, dander and pollen, air born allergens down, not cheap but do help. I use nasal plugs if really bad, which act as a filter for allergens and pollution, take some getting used to.

3 Likes