Guided meditation

What are peoples views on guided meditation? I struggle (as I’m sure you all do) to switch my brain off and I can never fully relax into the meditation. What are others experiences?

6 Likes

My :chipmunk::brain: doesn’t fare well with meditation. It goes off into its own world instead of paying attention.

3 Likes

That’s my problem too. Its so frustrating.

1 Like

I love guided meditation and i love meditation on its own, without guidance. Have been practicing it for many years.
A few here have shared their frustrations. But hey: it’s ok if the mind wanders. Once you realize you don’t focus on the breathing part etc just bring your mind back to it, without judgement. Don’t get frustrated. Just try again and again.
“Calm” has some guided sessions, and so has “chopra”.
I encourage you to give it another few tries, this time though with the target of not getting frustrated. Be grateful that you are trying.

5 Likes

Thankyou for your input. I will definitely give it another try. Hopefully I will be more successful this time. I’m glad you find it beneficial too :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I often find that I struggle with the breathing part as several of the methods have made me lightheaded.

3 Likes

It took me a long time to learn to quieten the mind. I don’t do guided, I do my own. I started with a few minutes a day, I’d hum, or prepare myself a mantra, just a sentence of either goals or positive thoughts and repeat it over and over. I can now manage an hour without mind drifting off, taken a year to get to that.

6 Likes

Wow, that’s amazing. I just can’t do it, I wish I could though

2 Likes

It’s not for everyone. Reading a good book is just as good, or colouring. I love drawing and colouring books, I find that just as relaxing and distracting same as baking. Find what allows you to distract your mind

3 Likes

I use colouring app which I absolutely love. Cannot get my head round a paperback anymore (it’s a shame, I adored reading) but I do listen to audio books most nights, while colouring lol

2 Likes

I love audible, got my sons into it.

2 Likes

Which app do you use?

I prefer the book version and i use coloring books for kids. Absolutely love it…

@vincent: i wanted to upload a jpeg here, but that doesn’t seem to work. FYI only

I use audiable and I use happy colour on android :slight_smile:

1 Like

Has anyone here used Loona app - it is a beautiful colour and sound narrative story immersive app … love to hear your thoughts if you have!

2 Likes

I had the free trial of this and loved it. Its very calming and its really good. Definitely recommend

1 Like

never used it before. have been using Calm for a long time and happy with the options there. Also, I have totally enjoyed some of the guided meditations by Chopra.

Have you tried sleep stories ?I love meditation but it took me a while to get into it fully …my mind wonders .I found sleep stories about walking in the forest or river boat journeys etc lovely to listen to and it’s a good way to chill out …there are loads on you tube …loads of different topics and authors .
Stick with the guided meditation though as it really does help x

4 Likes

I will have to try this one! How long are the stories typically and how long do you listen to them @kat ? Do you fall asleep listening to them or do you just chill out with them and even fall asleep? Love to learn more about this as doing some initial thinking as I love personally narrative story telling and it has a way of slowing down the mind which I think is amazing. KM

2 Likes

I do usually fall asleep listening. There are loads to choose from it just depends what you like …many famous actors do the narrating…I like one called The Shire which is about the hobbit village haha …its very relaxing :relieved:

3 Likes

I love the idea of this. Is there any app you use or just Youtube? I often find myself watching nature documentaries for how soothing and sleepy they make me.

1 Like